Cravens Heritage Trains

Home 1960 Stock Aldwych Branch Photos High Barnet Shuttles East London Explorer
1962 Stock Signal Cabin L11 History Preserved Links Membership

1960 Stock

Our three-car unit of 1960 Stock operated on the Central Line until withdrawl in 1994. Since 1995 we have operated regular railtours on the Underground network. More...
Aldwych Branch Photos...
High Barnet Shuttles...
East London Explorer..

1962 Stock

Our second train also operated on the Central Line for 30 years and is now being restored at Hainault depot. More...

Epping Signal Cabin

Epping Signal Cabin became redundant in 1996 when re-signalling of the Central Line was completed. Since 2001 CHTL has leased the Signal Cabin - we hope to restore the frame and open a small museum.Read more...

L11

L11 was built for shunting at Acton works. CHTL hopes is now restoring this unique locomotive. Read more...

History

The eastern branches of the Central Line started life as part of the Eastern Counties Railway Read more...

More Preserved Tube Stock

Many other items of underground rolling stock have been preserved. Read more...

Links

More railway and underground websites...

Uxbridge Centenary July 2004

The centenary of the Uxbridge railway was celebrated in style on Sunday 4th July when the LT Museum's superbly restored 1938 Stock made special trips on the Metropolitan Line.

Uxbridge before the first tour

The first of the two special trains departed Uxbridge at 1112 running first to Wembley Park platform 6 where passengers disembarked while the train reversed in Neasden sidings. Passengers re-joined the train on platform 1 for the run to Harrow-on-the-Hill where a short stop was made before the fast run to Amersham. There was another short break at Amersham before the train returned to Uxbridge via Harrow-on-the-Hill. The train stabled at Uxbridge before the second departure at 1526.

Platform 6 Wembley Park

Platform 6 Wembley Park

Harrow on the Hill

Amersham

Amersham

Amersham

The second train followed the same route arriving back at Uxbridge at 1819. Vintage buses, the Yiewsley & West Drayton Brass Band, model railways and bookstalls at Uxbridge station added to the festive atmosphere. Once again we must thank all those members of London Underground and LT Museum staff whose hard work made such an enjoyable day possible.

Vintage buses outside Uxbridge Station

Vintage buses outside Uxbridge Station

The railway from Harrow to Uxbridge opened on the 4th July 1904 following the official opening ceromony on the 30th June. Steam locomotives hauled the trains for only six months before electric services started in January 1905. When built the line ran through open countryside; development was encouraged and by the 1930s housing estates had transformed the landscape.

Uxbridge Station was relocated in the 1930s, the new Station with it's impressive concrete overall roof was opened in 1938.


Home News 1960 Stock
Aldwych Branch Photos High Barnet Shuttles East London Explorer
1962 Stock Signal Cabin L11 History Preserved
Central Line Track Replacement Aldwych 2003 Wood Lane 2003
Isle of Wight 2003 More Links Membership

For more information on CHTL contact Bob Yeldham

For comments, questions and contributions to the website contact admin@cravensheritagetrains