Cravens Heritage Trains

Home News 1960 Stock Aldwych Branch Photos High Barnet Shuttles East London Explorer| 1962 Stock Signal Cabin L11 History Preserved Links Membership

1960 Stock

Our three-car unit of 1960 Stock operated on the Central Line until withdrawl in 1994. Since 1995 we have operated regular railtours on the Underground network. More...
Aldwych Branch Photos...
High Barnet Shuttles...
East London Explorer..

1962 Stock

Our second train also operated on the Central Line for 30 years and is now being restored at Hainault depot. Read more...

Epping Signal Cabin

Epping Signal Cabin became redundant in 1996 when re-signalling of the Central Line was completed. Since 2001 CHTL has leased the Signal Cabin - we hope to restore the frame and open a small museum.Read more...

L11

L11 is a unique locomotive built for shunting at Acton works and now preserved by CHTL. Read more...

History

The eastern branches of the Central Line started life as part of the Eastern Counties Railway Read more...

More Preserved Tube Stock

Many other items of underground rolling stock have been preserved. Read more...

Wood Lane August 2003

Members of Cravens Heritage Trains had the opportunity to visit the Wood Lane site in August 2003.

The right hand running through White City is one of the curiousities of the network, the history of the railway in the area is an interesting one. Wood Lane was the headquarters of the Central London Railway when in opened in 1900; it was the location for the power station and the first depot for the railway. In 1908 services were extended to a new station to serve the 1908 exhibition at White City. The platforms were constructed with a tightly-curved reversing loop to turn trains around. When services were extended to Ealing Broadway in 1920 two new through platforms were constructed underground. In 1948 new station at White City replaced Wood Lane. Redevelopment of the whole site began in 2003.

1992 Stock in the depot at Wood Lane

1992 Stock in the depot at Wood Lane.

The view from the depot looking back towards White City station

The view from the depot looking back towards White City station. The roof of the former power station can be seen to the left.

The last remains of the loop that surrounded the depot

The remains of No 1 road. When the Central London Railway opened in 1900 the depot was enclosed by a loop. The truncated line in the centre of the picture is the last remaining section.

The 1908 exhibition halls

The 1908 exhibition halls were elevated structures - a few sections still remain Some of these structures are now unsafe, hence the fencing in the centre of the picture.

Another view of the depot and the exhibition halls

Another view of the depot and the exhibition halls.

One of the remaining station signs on the platform at Wood Lane

One of the remaining station signs on the platform at Wood Lane.

Another view of the disused platform

Another view of the disused eastbound platform


Home News 1960 Stock Aldwych Branch Photos
High Barnet Shuttles East London Explorer
1962 Stock Signal Cabin| L11 History Preserved
Central Line Track Replacement Aldwych 2003 Isle of Wight 2003 More Links Membership

For more information on CHTL contact Bob Yeldham

For comments, questions and contributions to the website contact admin@cravensheritage.co.uk